Wednesday, 26 August 2015

The guilty pleasure of schadenfreude

I have a confession to make. I, who have loudly and loquaciously expressed my scorn for those sorry souls who follow the anguished antics of TV Reality shows as if their very lives depended on being able to answer the most obscure questions about each episode, have succumbed to the seductive lure of telly-voyeurism. Every night I rush through dinner preparations so that I can slump into my seat in the TV room in time to ingest the daily serving of ‘The X Factor’ or ‘(Insert country’s name)’s Got Talent’ (yes, I have even sunk that low) along with my meal.

It all began with ‘So you think you can dance’. I am a lifelong dance-fan and unashamedly addicted to excellence so not even Mary Murphy’s ear-splitting screech could derail my determination to devour every carefully-choreographed movement of these supremely gifted dancers. That is all well and good. But when I realised, one night, that I was glued to the goggle-box watching four young women with equally unattractive personalities cruelly criticize each other’s weddings, I knew that I was perilously close to passing the point of no return. It was a telling moment and the prelude to one of those long, dark nights of the soul. But the next night I was back in my seat, muttering imprecations at Simon and the Gang while munching my microwave meal.

What floors me is that we all know full well that these programmes are not the unscripted, spontaneous ‘window into my world’ affairs that the networks would have us believe we are watching. For a start, I have deep-seated doubts about whether people are capable of behaving normally, let alone naturally, when they know their every move is being recorded for the critical consumption of the media-mad masses. You don’t have to be an anthropologist to deduce from the way spectators of all colours and creeds react when they realise that they have caught the roving eye of the ubiquitous camera man that exposure to the spotlight triggers strange behaviour among members of our species.

 Nor will you convince me that there is no direction at all from the producers of these shows. It’s all about ratings, after all, and if a programme is deemed to be boring by a viewing public that is insatiable in its search for sensation, it has as much chance of making the big time as the clueless contestant whose performance earned her three red crosses and a standing boo. Characters and contexts are carefully manipulated to elicit the maximum mileage from every scenario.

The reality is that there is no such thing as ‘reality television’ – apart from the news and sports channels, and there is considerable justification for excluding those categories from the list these days. So what is it about these shows that we find so fascinating?

I suspect it’s all about emotional voyeurism. We are able to step aside from the complex challenges of our own realities and live vicariously, sniffing sympathetically with the recipient of the cheque from the ‘secret millionaire’ (I love the paradox of ‘secret’ in the context of a televised reality show) or grinding our teeth in frustration at the outrageous attitudes of rebellious teenagers whose incorrigible behaviour has earned them a sojourn with super-strict parents in ‘remote places’ (like South Africa!). The changes those grumpy grown-ups can apparently achieve in two weeks is nothing short of miraculous and I am surprised that the penal system hasn’t cottoned on and hired them to sort out all those maximum security prisoners!

Then there is the opportunity to live out our dreams of fame and fortune without the fear-factor of making a public patsy of oneself. We watch in awed admiration as (yet another) star is born and cheer them on their meteoric rise with the same genuine enthusiasm with which we mock the cringe-worthy capering of talent-challenged wannabes who should have listened to their enemies instead of their friends. If truth be told there are some striking and rather disturbing similarities between our enjoyment of reality shows and the Roman crowds packing the stands of the Coliseum as they followed the fortunes of the gladiators and bayed for first blood in Christians vs Lions… with one important difference. In our 21st century cyber-version of ‘the games’, the victims are volunteers.

And that, I believe, is the real attraction of reality shows. I think it was Confucius who sagely observed that there is little more amusing than watching one’s neighbour fall off his roof but civilization has handicapped us with an inconvenient sense of guilt about indulging in the sin of schadenfreude. Enter Reality TV.  Deep down, where our consciences live in cramped quarters, we know that they are not real and that any suffering that is endured is, in the final analysis, self-inflicted.
And so, until they find the formula for calorie-free chocolate, you will find me in front of my flat-screen most evenings, indulging in my daily dose of emotional therapy. After all, contrary to what Karl Marx claimed, TV is the real opiate of the masses.

 

 
schadenfreude

No comments:

Post a Comment