A recent
humiliation at the hands of my delightful two-year-old granddaughter proved
that the old chestnut 'Out of the mouths of babes', while a tad hackneyed, has
more than a dash of truth.
The occasion
was a ballet lesson, held in the family playroom. Little Lily was the teacher
and the long-suffering spouse and I were, in her words, the 'learners'. Now my
husband has many talents, not least his legendary nifty ankle-work around the
tennis court, but dancing is not listed among them. Suffice it to say that his terpsichorean
endeavours make Judy Murray's recent antics on BBC One's 'Strictly Come Dancing' look
like Ginger in her heydey. I, on the other hand, sweated my way through eight
years of ballet classes in my youth and, while I was no Margot Fonteyn, I
managed to avoid the annual cull come exam time. So in the case of this particular
dance class, I felt confident that any accolades that might be dished out by
the diminutive dance teacher would be coming my way.
My fellow
student and I duly lined up, facing our instructor, while she selected the
pre-recorded song of her choice on her Dora the Explorer musical book. At the
first tinkling notes of 'Row, row, row your boat' she fixed us with a gimlet
eye and indicated that we should copy her movements. Manfully maintaining
straight faces, we bent our creaking knees in grand pliƩs, wrists cocked at
precisely ninety degrees, palms facing down and fingers turned inwards - just
like our teacher. She nodded her approval gravely before selecting another
tune. At this stage my competitive spirit broke loose and I confess I
interpreted the teacher's choreography somewhat freely, adding a few (in my
opinion) nicely-executed twirls and ending in a charming pose. Consider, then,
my mortification when the tiny tyrant stomped over to her grandfather and
announced - with a ferocious scowl in my direction - "You get a sticker,
Buppy, because you listened!"
After
enduring the spouse's triumphant crowing with heroic restraint, I fell to
thinking (and no, I was not sulking, as was suggested by certain ill-favoured
family members!)...
I failed to
get a sticker - it was a lovely gold star, too - because I failed to listen. I
heard what Lily said but I did not heed her words because I had my own agenda
which I decided was more important - in this case, showing off to try to win
points over the spouse. (In my defence, there are mitigating circumstances: he
has, as I have previously mentioned, numerous talents and while my
mother-in-law assures me that I have 'other talents' (although not cooking),
she has yet to be brought to enumerate even one. Just saying...)
So often the
misunderstandings that mar our relationships, both at home and at work, are the
result of failing to heed the words we hear...of just plain not listening.
My goal for
2015 is to listen better - not just with my ears attuned to the spoken words but
with my eyes and emotions alert to what is unsaid as well. Of course this will
require me to climb down from my perch at the top of the priority pole, which
could well be the toughest task of all.
But then, what
is life without a challenge?
No comments:
Post a Comment